Construction Inspector Senior
This is no longer accepting applications.
VDOT is seeking a Construction Inspector Senior to independently coordinate, schedule, and inspect all phases of work on routine and complex highway construction and maintenance projects for Fredericksburg District This position will work out of the Northern Neck Residency area but will cover other areas as needed.
As a member of the inspection team, you will:
- ensure construction activities are performed in accordance to contracts, plans, and specifications
- oversee and perform materials testing to ensure project is constructed to the design quality standards
- ensure contractor compliance with safety practices
- notify contractor of any non-compliance issues and resolution
- review and maintain project budget
- monitor erosion and sediment control measures to ensure compliance and appropriate maintenance
- maintain and review comprehensive project records including daily dairies, materials notebooks, and project files
- communicate with stakeholders including VDOT and external support staff
This position requires physically demanding work in field conditions. Frequent climbing, crawling, stooping, lifting up to 50 pounds, working at heights, in confined spaces and traversing embankments is required.
VDOT is an emergency response agency and this position is the core of this requirement, therefore you will work outside of normal work hours during emergency operations.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Experience with construction methods, materials, equipment, standards, specifications and terminology
- Experience applying state and federal safety, environmental, and EEO/DB guidelines and regulations related to transportation construction
- Knowledge of mathematics including algebra, geometry and trigonometry and ability to apply mathematical formulas and engineering principles to determine field adjustments to construction plans
- Ability to read, interpret/analyze roadway, structure and bridge plans, construction contracts, and other project management documents
- Ability to record and maintain detailed project documentation and prepare reports, forms and correspondence
- Ability to work independently and oversee and provide technical guidance and training to other inspectors
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with VDOT and contractor personnel and the general public
- Skill in the use of engineering and testing equipment and computer software applications
- Ability to obtain certifications in concrete/asphalt-field, soil compaction, nuclear safety, aggregates, guardrail installation, pavement markings, First Aid, CPR, flagging, work zone safety, storm water inspector, erosion and sediment control, and OSHA safety training courses
- Valid driver’s license and safety shoes required
- Experience in a broad range of road and bridge construction inspection activities with a DOT or a DOT consultant inspection firm
- Proficient in the use of MS Office and Site Manager
- Experience overseeing the work of others
- Possession of current certifications and completion of fall protection and confined space training
If selected as a finalist, you will undergo:
- References and verification of work history
- DMV Records Check
- Fingerprint-based criminal history records check
Special Instructions to Applicants
Multiple positions may be filled from this recruitment within 90 days of the closing date.
Based upon applicant pool, qualifications and agency business needs, a Construction Inspector Senior may be filled from this recruitment. An Construction Inspector Senior position may be filled at the hiring range of $52,263 – $70,000. A Construction Inspector is a lower pay band and role. As a Construction Inspector you will assume the same duties as above; however, will be responsible for less complex assignments independently and the more complex and larger assignments as a construction team member. The Construction Inspector position will be filled at the hiring range of $44,424 – $60,000.
State applications will only be accepted as submitted online by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date through the Recruitment Management System (RMS). State applications submitted via email, postal mail, fax, or in person will not be considered. Applicants are expected to fully represent qualifications and work history. The decision to interview an applicant is based on the information provided in the application; therefore it is essential to fully complete each section and provide detailed information. Submitting an incomplete application or an application lacking in detail may impact interview eligibility. RMS provides a confirmation of receipt when your application is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS account to check the status of your application for this position.
We are a “Virginia Values Veterans” (V3) official certified company and state agency that provides hiring preference to Veterans and Members of the Virginia National Guard in support of Executive Order 29, (2010). If you are a Veteran or Virginia National Guard Member, we urge you to respond accordingly on your state application Click Here.
VDOT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit “Information for VDOT Employees and Applicants” Click Here.
We have Shared Values and a Code of Ethics. Your success in our organization depends upon modeling these values, therefore please Click Here to review them and, if in agreement, we welcome you to apply.
In addition to a rewarding work experience, VDOT offers excellent health and life insurance benefits, pre-tax spending accounts, state funded Short and Long Term Disability, paid holidays, vacation, tuition assistance, free wellness programs, and a state retirement plan with options for tax-deferred retirement savings including employer matching Click Here.
87 Deacon Road Fredericksburg, VA 22405
Your application has been successfully submitted.